“Don’t Open That Door” is a gesture-based interactive narrative project set in the universe of the TV show Supernatural. This project creates dramatic agency for the interactor by leveraging expec- tations of the horror genre within a seamless scenario that elicits expressive actions and provides a dramatically satisfying response.
We match interaction and narrative elements to support the following design goals:
– Story-driven Physical Reactions
– Persistent and Uninterrupted Narrative
– Scripting of the Interactor by Narrative
We use the following techniques to cue the interactor:
– Verbal – A character directs the interactor to perform an action.
– Audio Visual Cues – The setting and soundscape indicates that some action can be taken
– Reactive – A sudden change in the drama causes the interactor to perform an action without thinking about it.
– Mimetic – The interactor performs an action after first seeing it performed by a character
Created in collaboration with Tawny Schlieski, Intel Interaction and Experience Research Group with funding from Intel Corporation.
Janet H. Murray